After making this taco meat; I will never again cook tacos in a frying pan. I prefer the taste and texture of crock pot tacos over taco meat browned in a pan.
This is another "dump and go" recipe for busy days as it actually uses frozen ground meat. You can use fresh ground meat, but I actually prefer using frozen meat in this recipe as it tends not to clump.
While I love the taste of my own seasoning (below) over the packaged kind, you can substitute all of the seasonings in this recipe for 2 packs of store bought seasoning.
Any leftovers of the meat can be frozen in individual portions and then defrosted in the microwave as needed. Its great to have on hand for taco salads, nachos, etc.
I make this in my 5 quart slow cooker
2 lbs of frozen ground beef
2 tablespoon chili powder
3 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoon garlic powder
2 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano1 heaping teaspoon of better then Bullion Beef Paste (this is optional, but it gives the taco meat an amazing beefy flavor and I highly recommend using it. (If you omit the beef paste, you may need to add extra salt at the end for taste)
3 cups of hot tap water
3 cups of hot tap water
(1) In a small bowl mix together all of the dry spices. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the spice mix to add in after cooking.
(2) Place the frozen ground meat on the bottom of your slow cooker.
(3) Add the mixed dry seasonings to the crock pot (except for the 2 tablespoons you reserved). Add the beef paste.
(4) Pour the 3 cups of hot tap water over top.
(5) Start on high for hour or more until the ground beef is browned.
(6) Switch to low for an additional 2-4 hours.
(7) Drain the meat and then return it to your slow cooker or another bowl. Mix in the reserved seasonings. Break up any clumps, while stirring in well the extra seasonings.
Serve with your favorite taco fixins.
"LIKE" our FACEBOOK page to get new recipes and additional tips at http://www.facebook.com/christineiscooking
Follow me on PINTEREST http://pinterest.com/christinecooks/
Copyright 2012 christineiscooking.com This is an original recipe. You may repost this recipe and its directions only if it is accompanied by a direct link back to the article on my site. You must be given my express permission for any other use. You can contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org