My daughter wanted to make a from-scratch cake for a class project on her own. We found some recipes on-line and altered them a bit to our tastes. Honestly, this was the best tasting cake I have ever had! We have made it several times since. We made it for Memorial Day and will be making it again for Independence Day. I have also made cupcakes with this recipe.
The cake itself comes out white, but can be dyed to take on any color you choose. We decided to make a red, white and blue triple layer cake.
3 1/4 cups all purpose flour
2 cups of sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons of salt
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1 1/4 cups of full fat buttermilk
1 1/4 cups butter flavored Crisco (I use the sticks)
5 egg whites
1 teaspoon of almond extract
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
(1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray (3) 8 inch cake pans generously with non-stick spray.
(2) Whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda in large bowl. Add the buttermilk and Crisco. Beat with a mixer for 2 minutes.
(3) Add the egg whites, vanilla and almond extract. Beat an additional 2 minutes.
(4) Divide the batter evenly and pour into 3 pans
(5) Bake 30 minutes or until cooked through.
Let the cake cool and then frost as desired. We used my favorite butter cream icing recipe, which you can find here: http://www.christineiscooking.com/2011/11/buttercream-frosting-oamc.html
"LIKE" our FACEBOOK page to get new recipes and additional tips at http://www.facebook.com/christineiscooking
Follow me on PINTEREST http://pinterest.com/christinecooks/
Copyright 2012 christineiscooking.com You may repost this recipe and its directions only if it is accompanied by a direct link back to the article on my site. You must be given my express permission for any other use. You can contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org