Hold up! If you bought some beets, don't throw out those greens attached to them! Beet greens taste good and are super for you.
They are a fantastic source of vitamins K, A and C and a good source of minerals. A half cup of cooked plain beet greens has only 20 calories, 1.8 g. net carbs and 1.9 g. protein.
Here is a tasty and easy way to cook them.
2 tablespoons of olive oil
2 cloves of chopped garlic (or more if you love garlic like me)
The juice from 1 small lemon (this is about 2 tablespoons).
Saute pan with a lid
(1) Wash the beet greens. Cut the stems from the leafs. The stems take a bit longer to cook then the leafs, so I cook the stems first and then add in the leafs.
(2) Chop the stems into small 1/2 inch pieces. Rough chop the leafs into approximately 1 inch pieces.
(3) Heat the olive oil over medium heat. Saute the garlic in the oil for a few minutes over medium heat (do not brown it).
(4) Add the beet green stems to the pan with the oil and garlic. Stir in 1/2 of the lemon juice and cover 3/4 of the pan with the lid. This allows the stems to cook, but also allows some of the steam to escape. Stir the stems occasionally and cook them until tender; approximately 5 minutes.
(5) Add the beet green leafs and the remainder of the lemon juice. Cover 3/4 of the pan with the lid and cook the leafs until tender while stirring occasionally; approximately 3 minutes.
(6) Remove the lid and turn the heat to high. Stir frequently and continue cooking for a few minutes while any remaining liquid reduces.
Remove the beet greens from the heat and season with salt and pepper. I like to dress mine with balsamic vinegar or a bit of balsamic glaze.
"LIKE" our FACEBOOK page to get new recipes and additional tips at http://www.facebook.com/christineiscooking
Follow me on PINTEREST http://pinterest.com/christinecooks/
Copyright 2013 christineiscooking.com This is an original recipe. You may repost this recipe and its directions only if it is accompanied by a direct link back to the article on my site. You must be given my express permission for any other use. You can contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org